This is going to be a big DUH moment, but a lot of Seniors and other people don’t get this….You gotta play! This is about YOU! It’s about YOU having FUN! You being You, whatever that may be! Senior portraits aren’t something that is done TO you, they are created WITH you. If you don’t show up, I’m just taking a bunch of still-lifes. When you start to have fun, spontaneous things happen, and when they do, they can be uber cool. The trick is to be ready for them and jump on it. Play, dance, jump in the water, climb a tree, do a victory spike in the end zone,do the funky chicken, back flip off the diving board, what ever floats your boat or rocks your world….Have fun with it…..Life’s too short for pictures that look like you are bored stiff or have a stick in an awkward place.
When choosing a Senior Portrait Photographer, you probably do one of two things(or both) ask friends and search the internet. After about the 500thousandth photo, your eyes are glazed and your fingers numb. How are you supposed to know what is just okay and what is great? This is why I have put together this lovely graphic with some quick tips on what to look for!
- Beautiful skin – good retouching to remove blemishes without making your Senior’s skin look plastic
- Eyes that sparkle – This is a result of two things: light being correctly positioned to create “catchlights” and illuminating the eyes. The other reason is they are having fun!
- Professional hair and makeup – I consider this a must for my seniors. It makes all the difference in the world.
- Poses that flatter you – We cannot all be model thin and able to pose beautifully at will. The photographer should know how to pose you, “clear down to your eyelashes”, so you look your best! No one likes to feel awkward in front of the camera!
- Variety – Multiple poses with each outfit/background are a must. You need a variety of verticals and horizontals: smiling and serious: casual and formal: beautifully posed and carefree dancing
- Gorgeous Lighting – This is last, but most important. Look for photos that demonstrate the photographer’s ability to handle any situation and create different looks with light. Do they have the skill? Do they have the equipment?
- If in doubt look for the Laura Trovillion Photography Logo! You will know its Awesome!
After I go to the salon to get my gray hair hidden and trimmed up out of my eyes, my husband always compliments me on how nice my hair looks.So, I could run to the salon daily for a blowout..NOT….or learn to do it myself. So the next time, I made sure I pestered my awesome stylist to show me how to do this…..what brush he used; what product he used; how he held the brush; Everything. And now after daily practice, I come close, not perfect, but close enough that I feel pretty good about how my hair looks. And I realized that this was a huge thing for me to not just look good leaving the salon, but to be able to do this for myself. Headslap….….. We should be offering the same service with our complimentary makeup before a Senior Portrait Session….. And so now I a proud to announce..(trumpets and drum roll please….) Face sheets and complimentary makeup included with your Senior Portrait Session!!!!! Now you will have a “map” of where the stylist put each color on your face, AND you get to take home the eye palette, lip color and brush that she used for your session. Now how much fun is that?
Take care and stay warm!!!!
Hannah was unsure coming in for her senior portraits. She doesn’t like to have her picture taken. She isn’t really crazy about a lot of makeup either. I asked her to trust me. Half-way through her shoot she was rocking the posing and looking beautiful and seeing how amazing she is. When I look at these photos, I see an AWESOME senior!!! Hair and makeup by Sarah Kellems.
Braving the cold and the wind, Abbey and I set forth to create some amazing senior photos…..And as you can tell, WE DID!!! Hair and Makeup by Tia Crom!!
Taylor, a senior at St. Thomas-More, could have had a bad day, it was windy, it got cold and we had already rescheduled once. Taylor had an AWESOME day, despite the wind, her hair looked amazing. Despite the cold, she ventured into the pond. We got fun, amazing and beautiful photos for Taylor’s Senior Portrait Session! Crazy weather proof hair and makeup by Tia Crom!
Sydney chose to explore the funky alleys and sidestreets of downtown Urbana, with a quick stop on Campus to get some awesome water and reflection shots as we lost light and the streetlights came on! Special thanks to Caitlin Cole for all of her help! Hair and makeup by Sarah Kellems.